- Price Range: low
- Payment Type: fixed
- Item Type: sell
- Condition: new
- Warranty: yes
- Status: open
First United Methodist Church of San Diego seeks a 3/4-time or full-time Director of Choral Activities to cultivate and deliver a superior choral music program in collaboration with the Director of Music Ministries/Organist.
With a 2,400-member congregation, First Church has a long history of excellence in traditional worship and music. The 1,000-seat Spanish neo-gothic Sanctuary, built in 1964, houses the largest pipe organ in San Diego County built in 1989 by Blackinton & Associates. The 100-seat Trotter Chapel, built in 2005, contains a 2-manual Blackinton & Associates Organ. Other keyboard instruments include a 9’ Steinway concert grand and several other fine grand pianos.
The Director of Choral Activities will organize, plan, direct, and implement both the adult and youth choirs programs at First Church scheduling choir rehearsals and selecting appropriate musical pieces. Responsibilities include greeting the congregation and audiences before performances, teaching vocal techniques to choir members, and engaging the choirs in the life of the Church. The Director of Choral Activities reports directly to the Director of Music Ministries/Organist.
• Recruit, train, and direct Chancel Choir (60 voices including a professional vocal quartet), Jubilee Singers, and Youth Choir for regular and special services from September to June.
• Chancel Choir Rehearsal: Thursday 7:00-9:00pm
• Jubilee Singers Rehearsal: Tuesday 6:30-7:20pm
• Youth Choir Rehearsal: Sunday, time TBD
• Hire, guide, direct, and supervise Section Leaders.
• Direct Summer Choir for the months of July and August.
• Rehearse choirs; reserve and prepare rehearsal rooms; plan sectional rehearsals; maintain attendance records and provide theological interpretation of music.
• Select appropriate choral music with suitable texts, including music from various cultures and music of our time.
• Direct the Masterwork Chorale (120 voices) from September to April:
• Rehearsal: Tuesday 7:30-9:00pm
• Conduct annual Advent and spring concerts involving the Chancel Choir and Masterwork Chorale
• Plan sectional rehearsals
• Coach soloists
• Rehearse with instrumentalists
• Seek out and develop community connections in the greater San Diego region.
• Arrange for substitute choral directors during approved absences.
• Maintain conducting, vocal techniques, and related skills, and diligently learn new music.
• Other duties as required for the vision of the music program.
Full time position would also include:
• Develop and implement an outreach program in collaboration with the Director of Discipleship for Children and Youth.
• Expand the Church’s music program offerings, which may include directing new ensembles such as Chamber Choir, Handbell Choir, and other ensembles.
• Master’s degree in choral music or equivalent.
• A minimum of 5 years’ experience directing a volunteer church choir.
• Well-rounded musicianship, including functional keyboard proficiency.
• Broad scope of knowledge of sacred music and choral repertoire.
• Experience in conducting orchestra in a concert setting.
• Demonstrated ability to choose music appropriate to the themes of a service as dictated either by Scripture/Sermon of the Pastor or by the liturgical season.
• Demonstrated ability to develop positive working relationships with soloists, accompanists, choir members, and community musicians.
• Demonstrated ability to work in an environment that values diversity and inclusion.
• Strong understanding of Christian discipleship to advance the vision and mission of First Church.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics:
• Creative and passionate about engaging congregations through music.
• Ability and willingness to use and interpret a broad range of musical styles for different liturgies in the life of First Church.
• Ability to provide a supportive and encouraging environment for musical ministries to thrive and grow.
• Ability to work with volunteers.
• Exceptional communication, leadership, and organizational skills.
• Competencies in MS Suite: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
• Willingness to learn and use Realm database for membership and music ministry pathways.
Roles and Relationships:
• Ability to interact with and engage people with a wide range of cultural backgrounds, training, experience, and age.
• Functions in compliance with Safe Sanctuaries Policy of First Church.
• The Director of Choral Activities is encouraged to develop his/her professional career in keeping with the responsibilities of this job.
Benefits: Continuing Education Allowance; Health Insurance; Optional Dental and Vision Insurance; Retirement/pension; Sick Leave and Vacation
Application process: Please submit the following materials by October 15, 2021 to: Dr. Jaebon Hwang, Director of Music Ministries/Organist, First United Methodist Church, 2111 Camino del Rio South, San Diego, CA 92108; email@example.com
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
1. Resume or Curriculum Vitae
2. A cover letter including your philosophy of the role of a church musician/choral director
3. Performance Repertoire
4. 20-30 minute YouTube or other online-formatted recording of sacred choral works for a mainline Protestant church that you have prepared and conducted
5. Three letters of reference including one from a clergy person and one from a church music colleague
6. Assignment: please select an appropriate anthem or two that a church choir with 60 voices can perform based on each of the scriptures below. Explain your reasoning.
• John 5:19-20
• 1 Kings 18:17-21 15
• Genesis 19:13-15, 24-26